Monday, October 06, 2008

Coming out of the (POLITICAL) closet...

Well, I was raised in a Conservative Republican Home. My dear uncle (I really do love him dearly) is a raging (raving?) Liberal. I actually really like hearing both sides of the debates and issues. I don't only want to hear things from people who agree with me. It gets boring.

Although I've been a registered Republican for 20 years, I've come to believe that NO single political party really "fits" my beliefs. I have been feeling a bit of "drift" away from the Republican party line for quite some time now, and didn't feel comfortable still officially carrying that label. And I have always known I'm not a Democrat.

I did some research. I did some soul-searching.

And I came to the conclusion that I'm a rare breed: a pro-life Libertarian. And yes, I think you can be both pro-life AND a Libertarian.

You see, I believe that abortion is wrong. I really do believe it is murder. HOWEVER, I don't believe I have the RIGHT to press that belief onto someone else. This issue was the LAST thing tying me to the Republican party, and a few months ago, I realized that my belief that you can have a moral belief without trying to legislate and impose that morality on others is exactly what makes me a Libertarian (in my opinion).

And I don't believe that repealing Roe v. Wade is the way to reduce the number of abortions performed in this country. Personally, I believe that the BEST way to reduce the number of abortions in this country is education (including pregnancy PREVENTION first and foremost). And I REALLY think that everyone involved -- both "pro-life" and "pro-choice" -- would agree that everyone would be better off if we could reduce the number of abortions (no one LIKES abortion!).

I think that before someone has an abortion, they should have a sonogram (preferably one of those newfangled 3-D sonograms) so they KNOW what they will be aborting. A woman should know exactly how developed her baby is (what organs have formed, what functions and processes have already started in its tiny body, etc) so that she can make an informed choice. I believe that funding for places like Planned Parenthood should not exceed the funding for places like CareNet (http://www.care-net.org/). In fact, I think everyone would be well-served if these two groups could find a way to work together.

The funny thing is, I remember when I was a kid, my friends' dad was a Libertarian and we thought he was NUTS (politically). What irony.

3 comments:

Kingdomsaint said...

Been a Libertarian for some time. I think it is the most in=keeping with my new life in Christ! In all reality, the best description of my political views is - Christian, but for the sake of those who don't know what Christ is really about I say "Libertarian".

God bless!

Unknown said...

Totally agree with this post!

Anonymous said...

What friend's dad was a Libertarian? MY dad was a Libertarian!

Things are changing, dear. Political parties are changing. There are lots of pro-life Libertarians. In fact, in order to be a true Libertarian, ALL people have inalienable rights, born yet or not.

Step on toes! The truth hurts sometimes. Doesn't mean it isn't the truth.

www.campaignforliberty.com