Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mor Mor's Needlework

My maternal grandmother made an absolutely gorgeous needlework wall hanging back in 1938. It is amazing. (Mor Mor in Swedish means "mother's mother"... "grandmother") After she passed away, my mother hung the piece in our family home.

After my mother passed away, the piece got put away... it was very hard to look at. At the time, it felt more bitter than sweet.

Very unfortunately, while it was in storage, there was damage made. Some of the damage may have been from insects (although that doesn't make much sense to me. It was indoors, and nothing else had insect damage), and some of the damage may have been due to improper framing. (The person who framed it placed the glass directly on the fabric, and didn't use all archival-quality materials.)

So, in the end, there was damage done to the far right side of the piece.

I *WISH* I had taken a before photo. I'm kicking myself that I neglected to do that! But... here are some "after" shots. There are close-ups of each side, so you can see the damage and how the restoration compares to the unaffected side, and a photo of the entire piece.

I'm sure once I get it reframed, you won't even notice the restorations! I'm THRILLED with the work that was done!





You can click on this image if you want to see a it enlarged.

3 comments:

Tamara Wheeler said...

Ah, that looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

OMGosh... that is fantastic!!!

Smiles,
Wendy

-leafa mcbirdie said...

wow! what a great piece! it's awesome that you were able to restore and save this treasure!